Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check To See If Table Exists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackster

Programmer
Mar 28, 2001
US
I have written the necessary ALTER TABLE SQL for creating a DB table, but I need to ensure that the table doesn't already exist first. I know that I can just let the routine error out, trap the error, and that way I know it does, but I was wondering if there is an cleaner way to check if a table already exists.

Any suggestions?

This should at least get you through the table iteration:

Public Function Table_Iteration()

Dim i As Integer
Dim Connection_String as string
Connection_String = "Something"

Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection
cnn.Open connection_string, , , -1

Dim lrs As ADODB.Recordset
Set lrs = cnn.OpenSchema(adSchemaTables)
i = 0
Do While Not lrs.EOF
Debug.Print lrs.Fields(i).Name
Debug.Print lrs.Fields(i).Value
i = i + 1
lrs.MoveNext
Loop
End Function

Thanks Swi!!

Another related question. How can I tell whether a particular field within a table exists?

You could either query the SysObjects, SysColumns tables or with the adox method enumerate the columns once the table is found, something like:

'after this line in SWI's example
If UCase$(Table.Name) = UCase$(TableName) Then
'something like this
for i = 0 to table.columns.count - 1
If table.Columns(i).Name = TheFieldYourLookingFor Then
'Field Found
End If
next i

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back