Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

check the instance of an external application 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Programmer
Feb 10, 2002
US
Hi

I am writing a tcl code in which i need to run an external application if it is not already running.How can i do it ? Can we avail of the sevices of any built-in tcl function for this ?

thanking you in anticipation

rumman

Assuming you have no control over the code of the external application, then, I would say no, there is no Tcl function to do it. You would have to check active processes (exec ps -ef) or something like that.

Bob Rashkin
rrashkin@csc.com

Hi Bob,

Thankyou for your response.

My use of system commads to find out the processes is limited since i am working in Windows NT. I can see the process in Task Manager-> processes, but not aware of any function to access it

thankyou for your time

rumman

I'm afraid there isn't much to go on. This was discussed here before: thread287-66260

Bob Rashkin
rrashkin@csc.com

Rumman,

There is a program called pslist.exe which gives you the NT equivalent of ps -ef
Don't recall the site this came from but google should.

Rgrds Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back