Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

check status of drive (and robot) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

daFranze

Technical User
Dec 29, 2003
DE
I habe another problem with my 4.5GA_FP6 installation. some day the FibreChannel attached drives (or robot) get "lost", no reply from the drives, NBu will set them "down".
My windows admins colleagues cannot find a solution (they have updated and checked whatever they could, they opened a call at HP so get a solution, but since this problem happens sporadic they could not realy fix). Since Backup is a big issue, as all of you know ;-) we want to implement a check of the drives and/or the robot! Can you give me a hint, where to start? Does NBu offer a status check script?

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years in the domain of the OS, Backup and Storage

vmoprcmd should help you. I tried to cut/paste the man page.
You can get the whole enchilada from the "Commands" manual

$ man vmoprcmd
Reformatting page. Please Wait... done

Maintenance Commands vmoprcmd(1M)

NAME
vmoprcmd - perform operator functions on drives

SYNOPSIS
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmoprcmd [-h device_host] -down | -up
| -upopr | -reset drive_index | -downbyname | -upbyname
| -upoprbyname | -resetbyname drive_name | -crawl-
releasebyname drive_name | -comment drive_index ["com-
ment"] | -commentbyname drive_name ["comment"] |
-assign drive_index mount_request_id | -assignbyname
drive_name mount_request_id | -deny | -resubmit
mount_request_id | -d [pr | ds | ad] | -help

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

As Bob states, the vmoprcmd with show you the status. I have seen your issue before and it sounds like a persistent mapping issue with the SAN devices and Windows.

What Make/Model HBA's are you using?

Check the switches or fibre cards for port errors. We had a case where the fibre was mismatched from the rack (50MC) to the switch (62.5 MC) and was causing all kinds on errors.
The other possiblity is bad fibre - have a DB loss test on the cables. One good bend and that cabel is bad.

Thank you guys, this is exactly what I need.

@rugby01
I'm guessing the same! But I am just the Backup man, I am not the Windows Admin and they tell me, there is no error in the logs...

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years in the domain of the OS, Backup and Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back