Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check out a free OLAP DHTML browser 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

igorkrupitsky

Programmer
Aug 17, 2003
US

It requires no client side software other the Internet Explorer 5 or higher.
This browser takes advantage of the XML for Analysis SDK.

The browser allows you build dynamic olap reports and save them. It also
lets you browse Data Mining Models.

nice

Hi, Not sure how or where you found this nice little OLAP browser but, THANKS ! I already have in place a web based OLAP system using Analysis services, OWC and Browser but this is a nice little utility for reporting needs. About time something like this was created and then given away for free. Thanks !

gaperry,
Just out of curiosity, what are you using for a web front end to view OLAP data? I need to generate very simple reports from an OLAP cube, with grouping, but don't need the full pivot capability. Such as grouping by Product Name within Product Family within Customer. Ideally, I'd like to have the left frame where I can expand/collapse and details in the right frame. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I'm going to take a look at this free XMLA browser for ideas, too.

-Customer
-Product Family
+Product Name

Thanks.
Jeff Clark

Analysis services comes with a number of examples on how to accomplish things. A number of these samples are asp pages and 1 or 2 deal with reporting. If you just need predefined reports to be run you can do this through ADO MD.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

ClarkJeff, I am using the standard MS Office embedded pivot table in my web pages. I also have this setup using security for our external users combined with MDX expressions and roles to limit who can see what. I have installed the free browser mentioned above and it is simple to use and from what I can see from the main website, has plans for future additions.

MDXer, thanks for the tip on asp pages and the ADO MD. I will have to look into that option as well. We currently have our people just use the EXCEL button that comes with the web pivot tables. This way they can save their view for future data refresh. The only problem with this is when you try to combine mass amount of data such as Customer names and Part numbers the it takes too long to refresh. Always in search of a better solution. Especially if it is affordable for a mid size company.

I can't seem to get this to run...

I keep getting the following error:

ShowCatalogs: xfaultcode ->XMLAnalysisError.88BA0500 xfaultstring-> Unable to process the request because the DataSourceInfo property was missing or not correctly specified. xfaultsoap->

My datasource is defined as:
<DataSources UnnamedSessionsTimeout=&quot;300&quot; NamedSessionsTimeout=&quot;3600&quot; MaxRequestSize=&quot;128&quot; AllowInsecureTransport=&quot;1&quot;>
<DataSource>
<DataSourceName>Local Analysis Server</DataSourceName>
<DataSourceDescription>Microsoft Analysis Server 2000 on local machine</DataSourceDescription>
<URL> <DataSourceInfo>Provider=MSOLAP.2;Data Source=local;initial catalog=FoodMart 2000</DataSourceInfo>
<ProviderName>Microsoft XML for Analysis</ProviderName>
<ProviderType>
<TDP/>
<MDP/>
<DMP/>
</ProviderType>
<AuthenticationMode>Unauthenticated</AuthenticationMode>
</DataSource>
</DataSources>

I am pretty sure that it is OK, as I am able to get the sample application that came with the XMLA SDK to run with no problems.

If anyone has got any ideas, or has run into a similar problem, I would love to hear from them, as I feel that this could be just what I'm looking for (if I can get it working...)

Thanks in advance for any comments

Arduk,

Make sure you have installed XML for Analysis SDK 1.0 and not 1.1 Beta.

Thanks very much for your help! I think that is more than likely the problem, as I am pretty sure I have 1.1 installed.

Will have to try it on another machine.

I believe that you coded this - looks like it is an excellent tool (from screenshots and comments above) - a demo on the web site would be nice so that people could see the functionality. Thanks for all the work though!!

I have experienced a similar problem,
ShowDataSources &quot;.. fault .. service unavailable&quot; and I am successfully using 1.0, including running samples. Anyone with an idea please explain.

Make sure that you install XML for Analysis SDK version 1.0 and not the beta. Try using the SDK sample application to test the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back