Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check Names not resolving in Outlook 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grrrowler

MIS
Mar 12, 2002
US
I've got a weird thing happening with one recipient on our Exchange server. Whenever someone types his full name into a new message in Outlook, and Outlook checks the name against the global address list, it comes back with the option for two names from the global address list. This in itself isn't weird except that the names that are being displayed have no similarity to each other whatsoever.

For example, when someone types "John Smith" as the recipient into a new message, Outlook checks the name but then puts a red underline below indicating that there might be another possible choice, or that it doesn't recognize the name. If you right-click on the name, two choices are given: "John Smith" and "Harold Thomas" (for example). I've checked the properties of both users in Active Directory and there's nothing in either that should make AD think that these two people are the same person. If there was any similarity in the names I would expect this but there's nothing remotely close in the names or the properties.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep this from happening? Is there some fix that can be done to get Outlook/Exchange to resolve the names correctly?

Thanks,
Todd Flood

Does this happen at all client machines or only 1 specific one? If it's only happening at 1 machine, clear the nickname cache: MS-KB Article 242074

The problem was happening on every computer, to anyone who tried to send to our "John Smith" recipient. I ran the MS nickname tool on my computer, removed the nickname for that recipient, and it fixed it for every user on every computer. My understanding of nicknames is that they are computer-specific, but there was something odd going on in this instance.

Thanks for the advice, and the link!

- Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back