Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check if form or query is used

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjake13

Programmer
Aug 26, 2001
US
I inherited a database with 128 forms and 200 queries in the front end. Is there a way, besides going through each one manually, to check and see what queries are and are not used? I'd like to remove the excess junk if they're not needed.

in SQL Server you can set up a workstation with Performance Monitor turned on that checks the queries against a database.
Run the application, do all the operations you need to do and you will be able to see what queries have been ran against the db....
Less tedious than the other.. but still a pain in the back... but remember.. it's only done once =)

Daren J. Lahey
Programmer Analyst
FAQ183-874 contains Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers to your questions.

I forgot to mention this is an Access DB. Thanks for the input though.

Might be some kind of journaling being written every time a transaction or form is run. Still some querries may be used in a manual process or a view or something like that.

I would think any database system would have some kind of file that keeps track of who is running what, just from a security standpoint. If something goes wrong you need to be able to track it down to the source.

In our database the last user is kept on each file so we know who created the record and who changed the record last. This may not tell you how it was created, but it can be useful.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back