Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check for updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyprus106

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
How can I poll a website for updates to my program? New versions, etc...

I'd like to know the code or theory or something. I know there's plenty of components out there that can do this sort of thing with, but I'd like to have the knowledge as well as the functionality.

Thanks, Cyprus

This is just an idea. Why not make a program with a client side and a server side. The server side sits on the server on the web while the client sits on your home PC. When the home PC connects to the internet (or at every few minutes while connected) it "talks" to the server. The client then compares the date for the installed components to the date of the same components on the server. If the server's dates are newer than the clients, the programs then screams about newer components avaiable.

Another option is to actually look at the version on the client and server. Like I say, just a quick thought.

James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

Here is how I make a link in my program so people can check for program updates:

This is a menu item: Check for Updates;

//check for updates
void __fastcall TForm1::HTMLEditorUpdates1Click(TObject *Sender)
{
ShellExecute(Form1->Handle, "open", " NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);
}
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back