Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check for lost SQL connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasgow

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2001
GB
Ideally, I'd like to be able to check that a SQL connection is still active 'occasionally'. The ideal solution would involve detecting when the application deactivates or re-activates so that I can then check the status of the connection.

It would not be practical/efficient to change the activate event in every form across the application unless I can trap the fact that the activate has come from outside the application rather than within it.

Thanks in advance.

The ado connection object can raise events.
see
here's an example:

Option Explicit
Dim WithEvents connEvent As ADODB.Connection

Private Sub Command1_Click()
connEvent.Close
End Sub
Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim strConn As String
strConn = "your connection string"
Set connEvent = New ADODB.Connection
connEvent.Open strConn
End Sub

Private Sub connEvent_Disconnect(adStatus As ADODB.EventStatusEnum, ByVal pConnection As ADODB.Connection)
If adStatus = adStatusOK Then
MsgBox "Your connection has been disconnected"
End If
End Sub

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Well you learn something every day (they say) - thank you very much. I didn't think of investigating 'WithEvents' on the connection even though I use this with ADO recordsets.

However, unfortunately, this does not trap the scenario I was hoping to handle - i.e. where the user physically stops the SQL Server (sorry I did not explicitly state this). In this case, the event does not fire.

I have a general purpose error handler so, as a workaround for now, after reporting a fatal error, I use the SqlDMO object to determine whether the server is running. If it is not I report to the user that this is the likely cause of the error.

This is not ideal so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

For an "occasional" check you could just send a simple query that has a known result such as "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM MyTable" (i.e. returns a single column, single row)
Then if an error occurs you can explicitly close the connection and try to re-open it.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor. The problem is when and where to do it. I realise I could my own SQLDmo server check in a timer event but I don't want to do it so often as to affect performance nor so rarely that I defeat the purpose - I'm not sure I can judge that balance! So my ideal would be to check each time the focus returns to my application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back