Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check for for upcoming password expiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

bojisheng

Programmer
May 16, 2002
US
In 7.1.x, account password expiration actually expires the account not just the password. (this is working a designed! ) ; thus, a user can not get on to change their password. I understand the design has been change to behave like NT in 7i (where i=2 :) )

Until we have the time/resources/etc to migrate to 7i from 7.1.4, I would like to have the user warned that their password is going to expire.

I would like to customize the login to check the users expiration date and warn them if it is less than X days. I would prefer to do this via the Web interface using the Web SDK, but a stand-alone VBScript using the SDK may be easier to implement (just because I am not a Web developer...yet).

Has anyone already gone down this path or have any other suggestions in resolving this issue?

Thanks in advance.

if you have installed the SDK in 7i, it comes with a sample application called user manager. You have to login, but you can edit users over the web, which by extension mean you can read the password expiration over the web. Check out the asp pages.

Thank you nlim. However, If I was using 7i, I would not need this work around. I need to resolve this in 7.1.4.

It look as if IDSSUser object ( so I can get the IDSSUserAccount object and look at the PasswordExpirationDate) can be pulled from the IDSSSession object.

It would be something like....
Dim mySession as IDSSSession

Dim d as Date
Set d to mySession.User.UserAccount.PasswordExpirationDate

I have not had a chance to test this for sure... I will post the results to help others (if I can figure it out [party] )

good luck, I was just suggesting you look at the 7i webpages as a reference for your 714 solution:)

nlim,

[lightsaber] Sorry, I misunderstood you point [peace]. I did not realize that 7.2 and 7.1.4 SDK would be similar enough that I could pilfer 7.2 sample code for 7.1.4 [surprise].

Is 7.2 available to all customers? Does it require a new CD Key? Or do I just need to contact MSI for these questions?

Thanks for your help [wavey2].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back