Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check Disk Run Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITGUY53

MIS
Feb 6, 2003
US
i got caught in running check disk for my Node B server that is in a Active/Active cluster. it is checking drive d: for errors and it's only a 10 gig drive that's been partitioned out to seperate the OS and application. it's been over 45 min now at stage one, 79 percent. the horizontal bar is moving showing progress, but at stage 1 that's paused/stopped at 79 percent seems a bit long to me. could someone assure me that this is normal at 79 percent with well into 45 min.

there are really no big files except maybe log files generated by applications. plus apps are installed in the d: location.

thanks...

It all depends on the drive and the errors that Windows is finding. I find it odd to have a 10GB drive would take that long... since the time of posting, did it finish up?

~Intruder~
CEH, CISSP, MCSA/MCSE 2000/2003

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong"

hey NetI-

when i left around 5pm it was still running. that was running aprox for a little over 1 hour. i left to go home and hope that CHKDSK will finish when i come in 6 in the morning, that's 8 hours from now.

i've attemted to run Last Know Good Config, but it resumed CHKDSK. safe mode with networking-it froze (haven't run Safe Mode itself yet), i will also try the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /x d: to cancel the chkdsk.

microsoft also stated "In some cases, chkdsk may take several hours or even days to completely check the volume or may hang while checking the volume. In these situations, it is more practical to postpone the chkdsk until a more convenient time". ( the bars are active and running and doesn't look like it's frozen. so i don't think i have failing drive and i checked the status of the RAID 1 internal drive to see if it's been degraded or what not. it's at OPTIMAL state accroding to the PERC BIOS.

are there any other ways i can bypass CHKDSK other than what i've mentioned and waiting few hours if not days until CHKDSK completes?

Is this the internal disk or the shared disk that this is running on?

~Intruder~

this is the internal disk that the server is running on. the disk is about a 18Gig HD partitioned out running on RAID 1.

well, that is a little odd that it is taking so long... did any errors come out of it? (I'm assuming that it completed by now...)

~Intruder~

NetI-
i waited a for a whole day to pass and it was still at 80 percent stage one. something must be hanging it up because it looks like it trying to process something as the W2K bar keeps going. it's Sat here in Korea now and i'm going to let the ChkDsk run over the weekend and see what becomes of it when i come in Monday.

i do have my other Node up now and will work off of that. i'll let you know when i come in monday.

today is monday and Check Disk is still running. i'm going to let it run for a whole week to see what happens, but i'm not hopeful.

OK, something is seriously wrong then :)

Checkdisk should not be running for that long on an 10GB Drive.

~Intruder~

hi netI

yup. something is wrong. it's been over 1.5 weeks now and it's running check disk. i'll see if i can try to fix this issue, but i'm not hopeful.

thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back