Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cheap router that can disable NAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFunkyChief

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2004
US
Hi,
We're looking for a product to replace Netgear's RT311. It was a great router as it didn't have NAT enabled by default (we were using it like a bridge). Does anyone know of a cable/DSL style router that will support the disabling of NAT?
The Netgear RP614 and Linksys BEF products do not allow you to turn off NAT. I've researched SMC's Barricade, but it doesn't appear to give the option to disable NAT. Someone told me there is a Belkin product that supports the disabling of NAT, but I haven't been able to find out which model.

Thanks in advance!
Scott

On nearly all models I have seen, if you disable DHCP you disable NAT.

This includes all Linksys models.

There is nothing exceptional about a consumer class router to disabling NAT.

Some offer a "formal" router vs. Gateway mode, if you need to enable static or dynamic routes to other devices. But this is a nearly universal feature of consumer grade routers and not in any particular way tied to any manufacturer as a feature.

The issue we're having is such...
The ISP has assigned a static public IP. We were using a Netgear RT311 where the WAN IP was the public IP and the internal IP was 10.0.0.1. Connected to that was a Linksys DSL router with the WAN IP of 10.0.0.2 and the LAN IP of 192.168.1.1. We were port forwarding port 23 on the Linksys router, destination IP a server at 192.168.1.2. No port forwarding or DMZ was setup on the Netgear, it just passed the packets through to the Linksys (more like a bridge). This was done for several reasons, and worked fine.
Water leaked on the Netgear RT 311. Couldn't purchase any more as it's discontinued and our vendor can't order any. So I replaced it with a Netgear RP614v2, and for some reason it won't pass port 23 TCP packets through like the Netgear RT311 would. Everything else worked fine. We tried many combos of static routes and DMZ IP configurations, as well as forwarding the ports.
Netgear says it was something in the way that the Netgear RT311's routed packets...that the programming was different and the RP614v2 wouldn't do what we needed it to. He recommended a VPN firewall product that's in the $300 range, hoping that something cheaper would work....a Cisco guy recommended some Belkin product, but I haven't tried one out yet.

Hope that helps, thanks for any input as we'll likely run into this problem again!
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back