Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cheap dual monitor card

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno74

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2002
US
I was using an ATI Rage XL 8mb card for our PCs at work, but they are hard to find now. Does anyone have a cheap PCI card that we could install for dual monitor setup?

Thanks.

I'm sorry, I just realized my error.

I need a card that will install in a W2K/XP box that will work with an existing video card to support two monitors on the PC.

you need a PCI card, I assume, but why needing another card? why not get a card to replace the one that is in it now?

maxtrox has quad support, if you're looking for that, 2 cards with 2 outputs.

but I'd suggest a secondary, PCI card, but I'm not sure if it will work... :-\

If you can find one, the PNY NVIDIA Quadro NVS 280 PCI 64MB Dual Display Video Card is one solution. It's nothing fancy but beats the crap out of the card you have and comes with a dual monitor dongle. You should pay about 50 bucks US or less.

I'd like to know what you find, how much you paid and how happy you were with the solution...a mini review if you will. Some dual head solutions will split the screen, some will allow two different screens, and some will do both. We might be able to help more if we knew exactly what you want to accomplish.

Skip

Quadro is a developer's card, primarily used for 3D modeling and design, just though you might want to know. =)

Having two different graphics chips running in dual screen modes may work. But if it does not work do not expect anyone to give support, it will always be the fault of the other. Disabling the onboard video and using a dual-output card will at least give you the benefit of dealing with a single video driver. An example of a cheap one that would do the job is the ATI Radeon9250 PCI. Its driver set does support dual-monitor configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back