Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chatting, Java, and Windows98 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPluma

Programmer
Feb 3, 2002
DE
Hello

I am writing in the hope that someone may be able to throw some light on a problem I am experiencing.

Whenever I attempt to log into a Chat - either through IE6 (just downloaded for the second time) or NS4+ - I am not able to see who the other chatters are or what they are saying. (I can do this if I have the opportunity to choose an interface: if I choose HTML I am fine). In other words, I am not able to participate properly. There is one exception: AOL chats (AOL is how I connect to the Net).

The chat rooms I sometimes visit have one thing in common: they are Java programmes and the problem suggests that I do not have Java enabled - when in fact I do (on both browsers).

Can anybody offer me a solution, please?! Is it a Windows problem (I am using W98) or a browser problem?

Many thanks

LaPluma

IE6 does not support Java, you have to download and install it separately. There are 2 options, you can get the Java Runtime Environment direct from SUN or the MS Java Virtual Machine which seems to work better with IE6. Unfortunately you cannot get this direct from MS any more following a dispute between them and Sun, who own Java. It is available at many places however, a google seach for JVM should turn up plenty of links. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Hello Mulga

Many thanks for your message.

I will download the MS JVM as you have suggested, though I have noticed one or two press reports concerning security issues associated with it.

Still, what the hell!

Many thanks again

LaPluma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back