Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chat script

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike101

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
US
Is there anyway to output to the user the chat part without having to use a refresh command? I dont like that it has to download a new html file every time. I know with the older slow modems it will take forever to load and then it will refresh. I know big chats dont use refresh or they use it in a special way. I would like to know a way so that this problem doesnt exist and how to implement it. Thanks a whole ton.

Try adding these tags into the header of your htm page containing the chat.

<meta http-equiv=&quot;Refresh&quot; content=&quot;7&quot;>
<meta http-equiv=&quot;Pragma&quot; content=&quot;no-cache&quot;>

content=&quot;7&quot; will make the page refresh automatically every 7 secs. In order to speed things up it's sometimes better to have the chat contents in their own frame with just the barest anount of html possible to speed up downloads. Also, the refreshed page is always loaded at its beginning so you need to add new messages to the top not the bottom or the user will have to scroll down to read them. AFAIK this is about all you can do if you're using html, but it does work.

The only other way I can think of is to use a java applet to prevent this reloading problem but I guess you don't want to hear that since this is a perl forum.

Yeah I'm trying to stick clear of meta refresh and java applets but I guess I will do the refresh thing. I was thinking of doing the frames thing you said but I hate frames :( Is there anyway to just refresh a part of the html page that perl generates. Cause I would prefer no frames but if not oh well. Thanks.

You can make a chat room with perl HOLY KRUDD, any chance u got aim or icq i would love to ask some question?
aim cooolathanlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back