Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

chat programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KilideoCapit

Programmer
Sep 16, 2003
US
hey, i was going to put this in my last post but i didn't think it was appropriate are there any QBasic chat programs that i could use?

Like an instant messager? No. There are a few terminal programs though, search the web, I'm sure you will find something.

If a man says something in the forest and no woman hears it is he still wrong?

Hell, I didn't know QB could connect TO the internet.

If it can, lemme know and please show how ;)

~PlystirE~

I've never seen qbasic connect to the internet, just other computers via the modem. If you want to check out the code for it goto In the Files section there is a program called basterm.bas, it will connect to remote computers together via the phone line, but only if the modem is in COM1 or COM2, mine luckily is, so I've used it more than once.

A program exists that does connect to the internet through DOS and I've always wondered if, by using its methods, one could talk TCP within BASIC. Arachne is the name of the program. It's amazing; an internet browser with png, jpeg and gif support. Trust me, all of us programmers who know how PC programming really works (not via VB or C# or any other windows plugin languages) drool over such code. The jpeg and png support alone would take me a while! Anywho, it's a cool program and I think a Net capable QB program could be made utilizing Arachne's dialer and such... Somebody try it out !!

Where can this program you talk of be found? It would be great to use the code in a linux-look-a-like OS. Since that is what I'm working on.

And first begin with a text-based browser for under the textmode. The rest will come later.

Balai Goyan a.k.a. Sebastian McClouth

Oke, seems great, just one thing: what if you have cable or a USB-modem? Can you connect then through DOS also?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back