Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Charts and graphs in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaushik222

Technical User
Oct 23, 2003
US
Hi all techies,
I am trying to draw a char. I have the data in the following format

24-Aug 25-Aug 26-Aug 27-Aug
ind 0:02:24 0:06:40 0:02:00 0:02:00
usa 1:12:52 1:44:23 1:52:00 1:51:00
lon 1:59:40 1:57:09 2:01:00 2:00:00
can 1:07:58 1:15:49 1:20:15 1:42:00

In the above formate i have 20 rown and 20 columns. Can anyone help me out in drawing this in a line chart.
and It should be dynamic. I mean when i insert another column it should be able to update the chart.

And when i click on the one of the line on the chart i should be able to open another graph which is related to this considering that i have already drew that.

Thanks in advance .

I'm with you on the first part about a line chart for 20 rows and 20 columns. Do you want 20 different lines on one chart(hard to read) or 20 different charts (a pain to navigate between), or several charts with several lines (not really good either way)?

The chart wizards can help you with the creation of the charts, however, from your data and description it seems like you want to add a new day of data (column) and have the chart either add a line or include it in an existing line (or however it is your chart shows data). I don't know of a way that can happen dynamically. I can think of a way to do it using Visual Basic code (a macro) but you would have to add the column (I hope you mean put data in the next coulmn) and then run the macro to tell it to include that column, and then the macro would update the Source Data for the chart.

As far as clicking on a line and having it do something, the lines or bars or pies that MSGraph makes for Excel do not, to my knowledge, have any hyperlink capabilities.

Does anyone else out there know if what tekbrain needs can be done like he's asking.

Hi,

Making a chart in Excel is about as easy as A-B-C

Use the Chart Wizard and follow the bouncing ball.

BUT

before you do, you migh want to name your ranges using the OFFSET function in menu item Insert/Name/Define

For instance the first range could be called rInd with a RefersTo experssion of (assuming that the range is in row 2 beginning in B2...
Code:
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$2,0,0,1,COUNTA(Sheet1!$2:$2)-1)
Then in the Source Data - Series Tab use rInd in place of the absolute range. It sould look something like this...
Code:
=Book1!rInd
As far as the second requirement -- thats gonna have to be done with VBA.

Hope this helps :)

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

vb6novice,

It would prefer for 20 x 20 in a single chart, but if it is not really visible then i can go for 20 different chart.

Yes i would be getting daily data , which need to added to this spread sheet. So I thought it will be good if have dynamic chart creation on adding this new column.

In anycase it will be a great help if you send me the macro which you ( vb6novice ) were mentioning.

Is there any other way i can make the functionality of hyperlink in charts.

thanks vb6novice...

thanks skipVought

But can you tell me how do i use vba for my 2nd requirement

How much VBA experience do you have?

This is a Tip site and NOT a for free design & coding site.

Creating Chart events involves understanding Objects and Classes and knowing how to manipulate some complex code elements.

So where are you on the VBA spectrum?

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

I have very less experience in VBA. So just guide me. I have written simple macros but never written complicated code.

thanks that is a great help for me. Let me expolore it if not i will come back with more questions.
THanks again

hi SkipVought
I don't have any knowledge about embedded chart , but it will be a wroksheet. If you feel something else is better please suggest me.
And if you can show me the path to have this chart drawn, it will be great.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back