Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chart Report and Dates....

Status
Not open for further replies.

antihippy

Technical User
Aug 29, 2003
GB
Hi There,

I feel this must be a common problem yet I can't find much about it here or Google.

I would like to chart some information based on a date field. Basically I want a running total per month. It's a chart of 'assessments'. X is the month, Y is the value. I have extracted the month values using DatePart. I have two questions:

First some SQL:

Code:
SELECT DatePart("yyyy",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate]) AS [Year], DatePart("m",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate]) AS [Month], Count(DatePart("m",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate])) AS MonthCount
FROM qrySCSCADReview
GROUP BY DatePart("yyyy",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate]), DatePart("m",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate])
HAVING (((DatePart("yyyy",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate])) Is Not Null) AND ((DatePart("m",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate])) Is Not Null))
ORDER BY DatePart("yyyy",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate]), DatePart("m",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate]);

1. How do I re-associate the year with the month? At the moment I have a year and a month column, but I want to make sure that Jan 2004 is not confused with Jan 2005.

2. How do I display the month name rather than the month value? So instead of 1 I want 'January'.

Experience tells me that there will be a pretty simple solution to this - I just can't find it. Please help.

1) Since you have a Year and Month in each row, I don't see how it will get "confused". Are you seeing evidence of that?

2) You can use Format([blah],"mmmm")

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244. Basics at

by the way, you might want to try something like this instead:

ReportDate: Format(Month(txtDate),"mmmm")&" "&Year(txtDate)

For charts, I have to make the x-axis dates be strings, otherwise MS Graph tries to format them on it's own:

Cstr(" " & Format(Month(txtDate),"mmmm")&" "&Year(txtDate))

so they'd be:

January 2005
February 2005

etc

Then for sorting, so if you have more than one year's worth of data, so it won't sort alphanumerically, I usually have a calculated field which groups the dates on this:

1/1/04
2/1/04
1/1/05
2/1/05

etc

SortDate: Cdate(Month(txtDate) & "/01/" & Year(txtDate))

sorted Ascending, but not checked so it doesn't show in the result set.

hope this helps.

g

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244. Basics at

Thanks GingerR,

Re:

1)I was trying to describe what happens when I look at the graphical output. The problem is that it is numbering according to the month and as I have more than one years data this is a problem.

2) I tried format(blah,"mmmm") but it seemed to collapse all the months together. Which was odd.

So instead of:

2004: 11: x
2004: 12: x
2005: 1: x
2005: 2: x
2005: 3: x
etc ...
I got:

2004: January: x
2005: December: x
2005: January: x
And that was all, It seems to be keying off the first digit.

Code:
Month: Format(DatePart("m",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate]),"mmmm")

A confession: I am pretty new to using Access - as a developer. I used to work mostly with Excel and I note that Access is similar in most ways but different in others.

I'm giving your other suggestion a try and I'll report back once I've tried it out.

PS:

I inserted your Reportdate suggestion and got the following output:

2004: 11: January 2004: x
2004: 12: December 2004: x
2005: 1: January 2005: x
2005: 2: January 2005: x
2005: 3: Janury 2005: x

Am I missing something?

Ah! I think I have it - and I think I've been a but thick about it all. Here's the SQL:

Code:
SELECT Format([qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate],"mmmm") & " " & Year([qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate]) AS [Report Date], Count(DatePart("m",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate])) AS MonthCount
FROM qrySCSCADReview
GROUP BY Format([qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate],"mmmm") & " " & Year([qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate]), DatePart("yyyy",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate])
HAVING (((DatePart("yyyy",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate])) Is Not Null))
ORDER BY DatePart("yyyy",[qrySCSCADReview]![txtDate]);

When I plop that into a chart it works fine. Thanks for all your help GingerR, it's helped me get a better grasp of date manipulation in Access.

Glad it worked out for you! Good for you for plugging away at it!

The second suggestions I had, were just in case you ever run into that kind of situation. I've made tons of charts, and getting the date reported like I want it is irritating.

Anyhow, good for you!

g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back