Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chart data source outline disappears

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GHTEYES

Technical User
Jun 18, 2004
GB
Recently my version of excel at work has started to have an annoying quirk with chart data highlighting.

Normally, in excel, If you create a multi-series XY chart from a simple rectangular data range, for example:
[li]X values in cells A2:A5, [/li]
[li]series labels in cells B1:D1, [/li]
[li]Y1 values in B2:B5, [/li]
[li]Y2 values in C2:C5, [/li]
[li]Y3 values in D2:D5[/li]
Then if you click in the chart, the source data range will be highlighted in the worksheet. There will be separate highlighted areas for the X values, series labels and Y data. If you click on an individual series on the chart, then just the data for that series will be highlighted. When thus highlighted, it is possible to grab the highlight handles and change the shape of the data source area, or move it around. This is all very useful. So what is the problem?

Recently at work, this has not been the case. If I click on a chart, the whole data set is still highlighted, but not when I click on an individual series. (Actually, it is highlighted very briefly - for maybe 1/2 second, then the highlighting goes away.) At home, I have no problem. Previously at work there was no problem. A colleague of mine also finds that is true - it recently started to fail at work but still functions fine at home. At work we are using Office 2010 (pro I think). At home, I'm using 2013 and he is on 2010.

Our work machines are quite tightly controlled by our IT dept., and I can only assume that this is due to some recent change they have made in the settings. From past experience, simply telling them the problem and asking them to fix it will get me nowhere. So what I need to be able to do is change the appropriate setting myself, or, if necessary, explain to them exactly what change is needed and get them to do it.

SO - the real question is can anybody explain what might be causing such behaviour, and suggest how to fix it? I've tried the help, but it's only comment on anything related is with data sets which Excel finds too complex - but this is failing with very simple datasets which previously worked just fine.

I'm assuming there must be some setting in the options which needs changing, but I can't find anything which seems to be relevant.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance,

Tony

Hi,

The highlight issue is a problem because it's keeping you from doing what? Resizing the source data due to fewer/greater number of rows?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

There is no specific task involved, I just find that functionality useful. I find it is the easiest way to adapt and adjust exactly what data to display when , say, trying to decide which sub-set of data is most effective at extracting the required information. The issue though, is not so much why that feature can be useful, but more about what switch or setting has been inadvertently set that stops it working, and what needs to be done to get it back.

Our IT security at work is kinda draconian. They imposed a blanket ban on forums (fora?) a while back, which is why I've not been here much for quite a while. So I'm sending this from home.

It is nice to see many of the names I recognise, and to know that good old Skip can still be relied upon to come through.

Tony

Yes, Tony, I see that your regular posting ceased around mid 2012. Good to have you back.

I notice that behavior in my 2013@home. But now I'm ALWAYS@home since 2014 and just reached the 3/4 century mark of terrestrial existence. [pontificating from sunroom] So I, sadly, can add nothing to the solution for your dilemma.

I was not even aware that you were able to manipulate the data range blocks, so you taught me something. I've used the Structured Table features (In fact I use STs for just about ALL my tables), meaning that I make my chart source data table a Structured Table via Insert > Tables > Table, and by this feature as the table expands or contracts with rows of data, so does the chart, since the chart refers to the table ranges not just fixed ranges. (Same for Pivot Table/Chart source tables)

As for moving ranges around in the table, I've always used Right-click in chart > Select data... to move series around, add or delete series.

So my use of this feature has been limited to a visual confirmation of the ranges of chart source data.

Skip,
[sub]

Skip, I hope the retirement is suiting you. It seems like you are far from retired from TT though!

As for tables, I've barely used them - to be honest I'm not really clear on what advantages they have. If I need to chart flexible data I usually just set up some dynamically defined, named ranges, and plot those. However, I did just try out a chart with a Table, and (at home, with 2013) it also demonstrates the normal chart outline behaviour - i.e. I can see and manipulate the source data outlines on the worksheet. Unfortunately, that tells me nothing about what would happen at work. I'll try it tomorrow.

I think it must be a first for me to teach you something, but glad to be of service, as they say Sirius Cybernetics.

Could you just clarify something for me please? When you say:
Skip said:
I notice that behavior in my 2013@home
do you mean the normal functionality, whereby the handles are visible and the data can be manipulated, or the abnormal functionality I get at work in which the handles are not seen?

In any case, if anyone else is reading this, even if you do not have an actual answer to the problem, could you please post back to say whether your excel chart source data outlining behaviour is normal, or if you see the same problem I do at work? It might be enlightening to know how extensive the issue is.

Thanks all.

My 2013 version, when selecting the chart, highlights with handles the Category and Value ranges, while selecting individual series, highlights with handles that particular series Category and Value ranges.

Skip,
[sub]

That sounds like yours works just fine.
It could be entirely possible that this is just a quirk introduced by some unique screw-up by our IT guys at work. From past experience, they have quite a talent for it.

Still, I'd love to hear from anyone else - either with or without the problem.
Quick reminder to save newcomers to the thread from having to read it all - the problem is that in my work version of Excel in Office 2010, the chart source data outlining and ability to drag & change it on the worksheet does not work anymore. It is not, however, just a new "feature" in Excel, because it still works in other installations of Excel.

I am using Excel 2010 on Windows 7 Professional.[ ] Behaviour on my computer is as described by Skip 12Feb17@18:20 above.[ ] With an individual series highlighted in the chart I can use the handles to change the chart's range.

Which is something I was totally ignorant about, so your loss has been my gain.[ ] Sorry and thanks respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back