Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chart Axis - Sort by abc, display xyz

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandpp

Programmer
Sep 17, 2003
AU
CR10
Oracle 8i

I have a Bar Chart that displays a rolling 12 month period. I have a couple of ways that I can sort the bars on the graph & this works okay.

What displays for the Axis though is 10/2004, when my user wants to see October.

I created a formula (MonthName) to decipher 10/2003 into October, only, I haven't found a way to get CR to display MonthName but order by Month itself.

I'm beginning to believe that it might not be possible, and my user will just have to be happy with 10/2004.

I contemplated using a 'Specified Order' to sort on, only, I don't know the order at any point in time, seeing as how it's a rolling 12 month graph.

I also contemplated doing it via an Oracle VIEW, only, doing the Grouping in the VIEW will be wasteful, since no record selection will have been done.
A Stored Procedure might resolve it, but SP's under Oracle are slooooow to return the records to CR...

Any thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks,

Peter.

You should be able to highlight the group field in the chart expert "on change of" area->order->specified order->select the options from the dropdown in the order you would like displayed.
cheers

pg

pgtek

I agree I should be able to.

What I find happens when I do this is that, it sorts by Month, but ALSO displays Month.

At the bottom of the Chart Sort Order dialogue box, it states:
"The section will be printed on any change of:"
which indicates to me that you are in fact changing the 'On change of' value, which is what actually happens.

This is why I am doubting the ability of CR to do what I require, on it's own, without some external hand holding, in the form of a SP, which has already done ALL of the hard work.

pgtek-

Please use quotes if you are copying from another thread (like thread149-1001417) and acknowledge the original poster or source.

In this case, the solution doesn't work quite right anyway because from left to right, the starting month will vary depending upon the rolling 12-month period.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back