Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chart and one Running Total

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridaHawk

Programmer
Jun 20, 2003
US
I want to display a running total in a chart for each week but the only way I can place a week in is "On Change of" which means the running total is reset each week. The running total us simply showing sums of open calls by week and needs to grow each week (as more calls are opened instead of reset.

You can create it a different way, by creating a formula :

if {Field} = "open" then 1 else 0

You would have to replace the {Field} = "open" with an expression which means a call is still open.

You can then create a chart based on the sum of this formula (all the open ones) against their open dates per week.

Reebo
Scotland (Sunny with a Smile)

Actually this is how I am summing up the open calls in the report. The problem is in chart it is summing the totals per week and not adding the previous totals:

Example

Week 1 - 24
Week 2 - 10
Week 3 - 5
What I Want the chart to do is
Week 1 - 24
Week 2 - 34
Week 3 - 39

I have a running total that works great in the report but it gets reset each week in the chart because the week is on change of.

Are you sure the problem is with the chart and not the running total formula itself? Right click the running total select edit and ensure that evaluate is set to every record and reset to never.

This is the way I've done a similar count of open faults for a help desk, unfortunately I have a problem in the chart where the running total is behaving as if it were in the group header and only summing to the start of each month and not the end. I can get a close approximation by stacking the new faults this month with the running total but I'm still one out each time. I get by as it's only one in a couple of hundred, but it's still annoying.

NRE

FloridaHawk,

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the same problem myself. Would love to know how you fixed it.

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back