Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

char to date in DB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahK

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
US
I have a character field mmddyyyy. I need to convert this column to a date because I would like to do some date manipulation with it. When I use DATE(table.column), all of the data disappears! Could anyone help me with this?
I am connected to a DB2 database, BO 5.1.6

Thanks in advance!!
-Sarah

Are you attempting the conversion at the Universe or Report level? If at all possible, I would attempt it at the Universe level!

I am attempting this at the universe level. Any suggestions??? THanks in advance,
Sarah

Hello Sarah,

Char or Varchar that is a valid representation of a date (i.e. "2003-04-01") can be converted to a real date in DB2 by using the DATE function.
So , in your case this may mean reworking the string by using functions like CONCAT and SUBSTR:

SUBSTR(FIELD,5,4)||'-'||SUBSTR(FIELD,1,2)||'-'||SUBSTR(FIELD,3,2) T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

That is the exact syntax I ended up using. It took me awhile because of a silly little thing I was leaving out... the dash! Thank you for your help!
Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back