Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chapter numbering shows always 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixftlion

Technical User
Jul 28, 2010
US
I am new to InDesign and thinking this must be something simple... I am numbering my chapters, did the Text Variable - Insert Variable - Chapter Number

It inserts number 1. And each time I do it, it is number one. I did the Update Numbering in Book Option menu, and all possible things, start section etc... it is always 1. I had the Chapter Number first in the Master, and it was 1 in each page... then I deleted the Master and did it without the chapter number and inserted it manually in each page necessary... always number 1... :-( I read all the manual, but it seems I do what I am supposed to do. It must be some trick somewhere. Please, does somebody know what I am missing here? (It's going to be about 64 chapters, 2 page each).

Suzanna

I think I figured it out... I had the chapters in one file, because they are short, 2 pages. But I am realizing that I have to have each chapter in an own file, and add it into the book... then it will update nicely and automatically. It's kind of inconvenient to have 64 little files... is there possibly a better way to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back