Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chaos on a Linux box!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazator

Programmer
Mar 8, 2006
IN
Hi guys,

Someone in my organisation who is high enough in the management chain has access to the root password on one of our servers and while writing some shell scripts, executed the command:

Code:
mv ${SOME_DIR}/* BKUP_<some date suffix>/

After that, no one's been able to login to that server through rsh or telnet. I suspect that he used a wrong variable value (there must've been no variable like SOME_DIR in his code).

Since it moved pretty much everything under the '/' to another directory, all the paths are haywire and nothing is working. Adding to that, he even closed that session in alarm. So the only hope of recovery is also gone with the wind.

Any tips on how to login to that system and remedy the situation by copying the / contents to their proper places?

Thanks a million!

Hi,

Try to boot the box with a bootable CD and then backup what you can.

Sysadmin ( root access ) is a real and Full JOB, not somthing every one can practice at his lost moments.

Based on the command issued:

mv ${SOME_DIR}/* BKUP_<some date suffix>

I would say that ${SOME_DIR} equated to a blank (or null). So the actual commanded ended up being:

mv /* BKUP_<some date suffix>

so everything in / got moved to BKUP... hopefully BKUP... is a directory. If so, simply boot from an interactive cd (ie knoppix) mount the "broken" root disk and move everything from BKUP... back to /

scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back