Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chaning printer Properties from Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryRW

Programmer
Mar 8, 2002
GB
I have developed a very annoying problem...

For background, I am using Access to load and run Word and then run mailmerges in Word using info from Access. For each merged document, I need to print one copy on headed paper, one copy on plain. I had originally recorded a macro to print both copies, by changing the paper source property (FirstPageTray, OthersPageTray) and this was working fine.

BUT, my Network administrator has changed the printer settings on the printer that I am using, so that now, instead of naming the tray, you name the paper type that you want (plain or LetterHead) and he has now gone on holiday for two weeks.

The problem is that I can't change the paper type setting in VBA code from Word. I have tried recording a macro, but any changes to the paper type are ignored by the macro (presumably because they are printer settings for all applications, not just Word).

Can anyone give me any pointers as to how you could change the printer properties from Word VBA, print out, and then change them back? Any help would be very much appreciated

I think I posted the above when all of you clever Americans were on Labour day - so I thought I'd be cheeky and post this on the bottom to bring it to people's attention.

Good morning! I was just wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem. We use Word 2002 and recently upgraded from Windows 98 to XP Pro. I have macros created that choose which trays to pull from when printing that work great with Windows 98, but with XP, I cannot change the paper trays with the Word macro. I create the macro and it pulls from the different trays just fine, but when I play the macro, it always uses the last tray that was manually chosen. I haven't had any luck finding an answer for this, and thought maybe you had. Would appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Brenda

There's an answer to the O/S upgrade on HP's site (if you're using an HP printer). There's a firmware upgrade you need. Even if it's another printer type, it may still be the same answer.

Theo, I Get It!(r) Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back