Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chaning page content based on user/group name

Status
Not open for further replies.

turquoise

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2002
GB
I want to be able to change the content of a page based on the user name or group membership. This is running in an intranet environment running IIS in a Win2K domain.

Any ideas anyone?

thx in advance

[tt]Assuming that members and or groups have their own id's, I would create each a page and when they login, I would simply redirect them to their corresponding pages based on their access level.
[tt]"A Successful man is one who can build
a firm foundation with the bricks
that others throw at him"
[/tt]

star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

Hmmm, that's what I thought of doing first or having one page with links to sub pages but changing the permissions on the server so they get a permission violation error when accessing pages they are not permitted to.

I was hoping there was a smarter way to do it.

thanks for your input

Have you thought at all about XML and XSL?? I did something similar to what you want to do but used XML. Worked very well.

Gorkem.

[tt]I would create a level field on your database somethink like this
table
Name title level
John VP 1
Steve CEO 1
Richard Manager 2
Tony Supervisor2
Karla Sales 3
Rose Sales 3
Kenny Sales 3

[tt]"A Successful man is one who can build
a firm foundation with the bricks
that others throw at him"
[/tt]

star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

I've not done any work with XML or XSL, I know what they are but wouldn't be able to apply that to the Intranet app I'm developing.

You don't need an XML database to make use of all the cool features of XML/XSL.. just get the information you need from the SQL database and merge it into the XSL stylesheet.

Voila.. simple, easy and very efficient.

Gorkem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back