Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chaning IRQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

emjlr3

Technical User
Jan 8, 2005
US
so i just installed a new VC on my system, and everytime i would go to load 3d graphics my comp would freeze and restart....i thought my PSU was the prob so i upgraded to a much better one, to make a long story short i still doesnt work, i went to the manufactures site (XFX) and they said to check the IRQs, i did so and found that 2 other things are sharing the IRQ with my video card, so how do i rememdy this? btw i have a dell so cant go into bios and i really dont want to have to reinstall windows

thnx for the help guys!!

If you are running XP you problem is likely not an IRQ conflict. The ACPI HAL usually does a very good job of sharing IRQs. More likely a driver or BIOS setup issue.

The only way to move your video card to a different IRQ (or other device on the same IRQ) is to disable ACPI by changing the HAL to "Standard PC". But if that is not your problem, there is no way to undo the change without reinstalling Windows.

What are the model numbers for your Dell and video card?

my video card is a XFX nvidia 6600gt, and my dell is a dimension 4600 running xp, and linn ill take a look at those links and see if they help me if not ima call tech support on monday and see what those bone heads can do for me

I'm reading the users manual. It looks like The Dimension 4600 has integrated video. And you managed to install XFX 6600gt and it sort of works... so no problem there.

There may be a setting in the BIOS setup to initialize Onboard, PCI, or AGP video first. If so, it should be set to AGP. The manual says you can get to the BIOS setup by hitting "F2" immediately after you see the blue Dell logo when booting.

yes it takes you to a screen with some things but i dont believe it lets you play with the bios, ive gon to it before by hitting F2, i tried some things and even installed my old one and stuff, and on the IRQ16 that the 6600gt doesnt work on my fx5200 does still work, but i, not sure if that is where it was before or not, so when i go to reinstall the other card (6600 gt) before i install the drivers it is on IRQ11 which is empty, then once the drivers are installed it moves it to IRQ16, so could there be a driver issue there, ive tried it with the ones the CD came with 66.81 and the newest current 66.93 and a beta 71.20 and they all change the drvice to IRQ 16 once they are installed where it was at IRQ11 when the computer realizes its there and before you install the latest driver.....any ideas guys, if not ill just have to keep waiting until tmr when i call tech support, maybe they wont be able to help me and then send me a new 6800 or something for the trouble.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back