Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing XP's login account

Status
Not open for further replies.

derdeb

Technical User
Jul 20, 2005
CA
Quick question,

I have two user profiles under XP pro. One is the default Administrator, and the other is the created account (also Admin) that has my nickname.

Everytime I boot Windows, it logs into the default Admin account. If I logoff and re-enter my nickname and password account I can load my old profile, but windows won't do it automatically.

I can't delete the default Admin account, so how do I make Windows use my other Admin Account as the default?

Try this:
Click start and then run, type "control userpasswords2" minus the "s into the run box and press enter

When the user accounts window opens uncheck the box which states 'Users must enter a username and password to use this computer' and apply the setting. You will be requested for the username and password of the account you wish to automatically logon as for following reboots of your system.

If at a later stage you want a password back on your system, follow the same steps but recheck the box.
In order to open user accounts you must be using an Administrator level account.

Have fun

Or you can change the Registry setting:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName

Seumas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back