Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Windows Server 2012 R2 to CORE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoMurdoc

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2011
GB
Hello Helpful people of the Internet

I have recently been given a task to change all our domain controllers to Windows 2012 core. This will be the first time I have done anything of this nature and my experience with DC's is limited at best. The actual process itself seems pretty straight forward however I was wondering if anyone else has done it and come across any issues?

Some information of what to expect, what might go wrong and what to be careful of would be very helpful.

I have googled this but for the most part I can only find result for building a DC on core rather than changing a live DC to CORE

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Mo

I just did this a couple of weeks ago on a RODC setup. I stood up a new DC, configured, and promoted it using the full GUI interface. After it was all set, I changed the server to the minimal server interface option. I couldn't imagine the process of changing to full Server Core would have been much different. The process was pretty straight-forward and after the reboot, it was up and doing its job.

Joey

Thanks, gave it a go and everything seems to have worked perfectly

Cheers
mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back