Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing win2k domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonun

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2001
US
I have this domain which has a single domain controller. I was wondering how could I change the domain name (just for my own curiosity). If I did what would happen to the comps that have joined the domain. Will they join the new domain automatically.
This DC doesnt have DNS on it nor is there any on the network. There is one external DNS that machines can use though.
Advice, Links, How-to's please.
Thanks.

HI.

In W2K you cannot change the domain name, you can only use DCPROMO to delete the domain then create a fresh new one.

In Windows2003 there is an option to change domain name but I have never tried it.

Yizhar Hurwitz

and after demoting the server (dcpromo) you will then have desyncd computer accounts. After you re-promote the server (dcpromo again) you will have to rejoin the computers to the domain.

ps. you sure you're running a dc. You cannot run AD without DNS.

----------------------
"Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your sig and help me take over the world."

try go to DNS MMC and check if the dns is AD Intregrate.

Also confirmif your DNS is 127.0.0.1

deeperdeeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back