Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing voicemail pro's client language 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3voltas

Technical User
Nov 12, 2013
PT
Hi there.
I know that changing Manager's shortcut to include "manager.exe -locale:xx-XX".
Is there some way of doing the same to VMPro's client?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Much the same, for example, set the shortcut target to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avaya\IP Office\Voicemail Pro\VoicemailPro.exe" -locale:fr-FR

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Cool!
Thanks sizbut.
BTW, anything similar for SSA? I'm not gonna ask for Monitor because I'm quite sure that Monitor is only available in English.
But having the hability to start SSA in English instead of the system's regional settings would be cool.
TIA
Cheers

No idea with SSA. Its a Java application, rather than Microsoft Visual C++ link Manager and the VMPro client, so if possible its probably very different.

Having just had a peak, there's a batch file (ssaviewer.bat) that passes a bunch of variables to launch ssaviewer.jar but don't know if a language value can be included to override the default.

Do these apps not set their language automagically to the locale of the PC, or am I missing an unusual edge case?

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

ACSS

@sizbut
It's not working with VMPro's client. I've just set "...voicemailpro.exe -locale:en-US" and the darned thing still opens up in Spanish instead of English.

@IPGuru
Yes, it does automagically set the language to the locale of the PC.
That may be good for 90% of the technicians I know. But it it baaaad to 10% of the technicians I know, me included.
There's nothing like working in English (either US or UK) when you are seeking for help. If I come here and copy/paste a printscreen of the Manager application in Spanish, most people won't understand it. They might even get confused trying to sort out where I got that menu I pasted.
The best manuals come in English. The best 3rd party help (you and everybody here at Tek-Tips) are either native English or have been using English as a 2nd language for so long that it's already second nature.
I would never ever use a tech tool in any other language but English. Have I said never? I meant it ;-)
Cheers

try locale:enu-US

I just have the problem that I tested with German Locale:de-DE and that worked and then changed it to the above but mine comes up with English already so I am not sure if that actually did anything

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

@Westi
Nah, it ain't working.
-locale:en-US is working on Manager, but it's not working on VMPro client.
And I've just reinstalled VMPro client, in case there was any corruption or something else.
No clue.
It's weird because on a PC that has regional settings set up with English UK, I can change to -locale:fr-FR and it opens up in French.
But on a PC that has regional settings set up with Spanish, I can't change it to English.
I'm going nuts here lol...

Manager supports two version of English - US and UK. UK is its default built-in language, but it has a separate language files for US English which means you can use the -locale:en-US override.

I don't think that applies to the VMPro client, it has just one English and that's the built-in language, so you can't use the override to tell it to switch to English.

Guessing, I would try something like tell it to use a language that it doesn't have separate strings for, say -locale:hr-HR. And hope that the language switching logic having been told to use a specific language rather than match the OS, tries to load Croatian, fails and falls back to its default English.

I used locale:de-DE and it came up in German - Jawohl

just to try I also tested locale:fr-FR and it came up in French - Oui Messieur

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Well, it's not working in my setup. This is a Windows 10 Pro Spanish ISO.
Maybe the Spanish ISO has issues. I've seen several issues with (usually path-related issues) with the Spanish ISO that haven't seen with the US English ISO.
Thank you both for your input. ;-)
Cheers

Needing some stress relief from technical issues (idiots not including the files they've already been given) I did some playing with my Voicemail Pro client.

If you want it to always run in English, just rename the es-MX folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Avaya\IP Office\Voicemail Pro\es-MX). The only drawback it you can't then get it to run in Spanish except by renaming the folder back to es-MX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back