Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamason

MIS
May 15, 2000
US
Present virtual memory on my C: drive is 4095MB and on my D: drive it's 2048MB. I am running out of disk space on my D: drive. Can I remove the virtual memory from my D: drive and append it to my c: drive so that I will have a total of 6GB on on C: drive for virtual memory. All opinions are welcome.

I think the maximum allowed SUPPORTED virtual mem per partition is 4096 MB.

If your system files are on your C: drive then you can't append the space to it. At least not without using third party tools. Windows doesn't let you expand the system partition.

Are we saying that I cannot increase my virtual memory size on my Win2K server larger than 4096MB?

Your Question makes little sense to me.

Virtual memory does not exist for each drive it is used by the OS so as to extend you physical memory (RAM). Where you keep your virtual memory (ie: on your c:\ or d:\ drive) is up to you. Do a search for *.tmp with hidden files and folders switched on to see where it is mapped to you can reconfigure it by altering boot.ini file.

If you have upgraded your basic disk to dynamic on via computer management then you can move free space between volumes BUT as Adman points out you cannot resize a system partition ( usually c:\)

Hope that helps, Happy New Year.

Thanks all,

As shavedhead pointed out I cannot have more than 4096MB virtual memory per partition.
Solution: Because of low didk space on my D: drive I had to delete the virtual memory on my D: drive which freed up 2GB of disk space.
My virtual memory allocation on my C: drive remains at 4096MB(which cannot be increased as per Win2K limitations).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back