Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing User Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtoestreich

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2003
US
I have a user that just got married and wants to change her last name. What is the best way to do this and let her get emails from her old address?

Thanks for the help

Mark

Your best bet is to go to Active Directory Users & Computers within the Exchange menu (the local version does not have the relevant Email tabs).

You should then change the surname information (this means you do not lose the current mailbox stuff) and add an SMTP entry referring to the new Email address. Make this primary, but do not delete the old mailbox SMTP entry.

This should maintain the data/mailbox integrity but also ensure that mail to old and new mailboxes get through.

The other option is to set up as a new user and stick and out of office assistant on which mentions new address. You could also set a rule to forward stuff on.

It is up to you which is the best fit !!

Hope this helps.

Jon

Thanks Jon
I figured that was the best method, but I wanted a second opinion. Changing the Surname worked. I had to add the old address back in, when I changed the surname, it changed the default email address.

Again, thanks for the help.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back