Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing user email address - twofold ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorpCo

Technical User
Mar 30, 2005
US
I have a user who managed to infest her computer with spyware, adware, and spam. Besides having to clean up her computer (I've already reinstalled her operating system once), I am going to have to change her email to relieve the entire office of her funk. I have a question as to how I should handle this with Exchange and with Windows Server.

1. I'm going to set up a new email with the number 1 after her normal user name. Do I have to make her a new user with the 1 after it or can I just change her email?

2. What's the easiest way to change her in both Exchange and in Windows Server?

All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Christy

Why?

Clean the PC, sure. Then just get shot of the spam at the server level. No need to change the email address.

How can I get rid of the spam at the server level? I don't currently have any Spam protection system on there. I tried to research some stuff, but never came up with the right answer.

No one responded and I wanted to try to take care of this so here's what I did (after I did another thorough cleaning):

1. I set her old email to auto respond saying the email is invalid and to obtain the proper address from the intended recipient by calling her.

2. I made the new address with username1@domain.com

3. I went to User Directory on server and under "Email Address" for the user I clicked on the SMTP and chose "Edit", then changed her email address to reflect the new address.

I haven't rebooted the server yet, but will do as soon as everyone leaves. Too many people complain about it when I do that during normal hours.

If I've left anything out, I guess I'll find out when I reboot. If anyone sees anything I should have done, please speak up. Thanks!

Christy

You have the IMF in Exchange 2003 - an excellent spam filter.

Oh? Well...here's the thing: I'm not an IT person, I just play one at the office, so excuse me if I sound ignorant. Knowing what I know about all the users here...I need to put that thing on maximum protection. So what do I do and where do I find it? Will it work if email is POP3?

Just change the user's Exchange Alias in ADUC on the Exchange General tab. Make sure that the "Update recipient" checkbox is checked on the Addresses tab. As soon as the RUS runs, it will assign a new smtp address based on the alias. Then just delete the old smtp address from the addresses tab.

As for spam cleaning, you should definately look into a filter. It's becoming more and more important these days. There have been some "hostile work environment" lawsuits by employees receiving sexually explicit spam.

I've used Symantec Brightmail and been happy with it. Several others you may want to consider: Postini, GFI, and Trend Micro.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back