Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing to New Exchange Service Account After Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpideySMJ

Technical User
Mar 25, 2002
US
We recently migrated our environment from an Exchange 5.5 organization/NT 4.0 to an Exchange 2003/2003 AD environment. During the migration the setup asked for the current Exchange Service account which was in our then-current domain, let's call it DOMAIN1. All the Exchange 2k3 servers are on the new domain, let's call it DOMAIN2. Well, migration is pretty much complete and we are getting ready to shut down DOMAIN1, but first I have to change the Exchange 2003 System account to an account in DOMAIN2. I have found documention on this for 5.5, but nothing for 2003. The services don't use the system account to log on like in 5.5, and the only place I see the Service Account listed is in the properties of the Administrative group. It can't be that easy to just change the password there...is it? Does anyone have any feedback?

FYI - We do have three Clustered Exchange 2003 servers.

Thanks,
Scott

"I reject your reality and substitute one of my own.

Anybody???

Exchange 2000 and newer use system accounts, not domain accounts like Exchange 5.5 and earlier.

OK, so what does that mean then? Can I change that password (listed under the properties of Administrative Groups) at any time without consequence? Or do I need to take any steps prior to making that change? Do I need to resart servers/services once I make the change?

I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I don't want to totally mess up our Exchange setup a few weeks after it's been completed. :)

I'm still not sure we are still on the same page. I already have a cluster account setup for the Exchange clusters, it's on the new domain, so that shouldn't need to change. Or am I wrong?

I understand how to use the Delegation Wizard to setup permissions for service accounts and such.

Maybe I am just worrying over nothing, but I want to make sure. In Exchange 5.5 if you changed the Service Account that the Exchange Services were running under you had to make sure you changed them at roughly the same time and stop and start all the services (or reboot the server) after the change. Now I realize that in 2000/2003 all the services run under the local system account. However, if you right click on one of the administrative groups under Administrative Groups and select Properties there is a field for "Exchange 4.0/5.x Service account for this site." It then lists a service account for our OLD NT 4.0/Exchange 5.5 organization. Eventually, when we are ready, I need to change this to the service account from our new domain (Which is already setup and has all the appropriate permissions for Exchange). What are the ramifications of doing THIS. What steps should I take beforehand? Are there any documents on this process?

If the cluster account is already in the new domain, you don't need to change it or the password to it.

About the only thing E2K3 does with the 5.5 admin account is delegate administrative privliges. So, create a new account, delegate full exchange admin, and remove the delegation for the old account.

SpideySMJ, I am in exactly the same situation. Did you end up finding a solution?

Not yet. As far as I can tell there really isn't anything I need to do...but I won't actually be flipping the switch for a couple weeks yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back