Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the RAM on Proliant 1600

Status
Not open for further replies.

bntrong

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2001
US
I'm going to be changing the RAM on my Compaq Proliant Server....I know with Compaq they are really picky about the RAM you can use.....Does anyone have any things that I should know when I change it...
Heres the spec on my RAM chip.
256MB SYNC
100 mhz CL2
ECC
Thanks
Chuck

Well, if your going to just add in a stick to see if it works I'd say go for it. The Proliant 1600's especially seem to just not boot if they don't like the RAM config.

FYI, I've used both Kingston and Simpletech RAM built to compaq spec for a few 1600's and its never given me a problem. The price was pretty reasonable too.

But don't listen to me. I just toasted a server. (re: my above post).

Another consideration in using non-Compaq memory is whether a recognised Compaq service centre will work on the server. I have known incidences where non-Compaq memory has been used and the Compaq warranty has been invalidated. It is all to easy for a "Compaq" engineer to say "ah, none-standard memory, that must be the problem", whatever the problem might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back