Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the "My Computer" icon label 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wezel

Technical User
Jun 2, 2004
JM
I want to change the My Computer icon label to the name of the computer in windows xp. If found a solution for windows 2000 whihc involves changing the data in the 'LocalizedString' value of the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

but this does not work for Xp. Can anyone help me

Why not just right click on the icon and then right click rename.

Because that will only affect that particular login instance. I want the label to be changed for all logins

For Windows XP or Internet Explorer 6.0+
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

Rename the value named "LocalizedString" to "LocalizedString.old". Create a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named "LocalizedString", and set the value to "%USERNAME% on %COMPUTERNAME%".

I would have thought just Renaming it as previously stated would have been sufficient.

See Line 30, left column for
the saving settings issue.

Is there any Group Policy set preventing you from saving your settings?

I log in as administrater and changed it. I rebooted and it was still the new name.

Because that will only affect that particular login instance. I want the label to be changed for all logins"

Does the above mean every username on your computer or every login of just your username?

Short of renaming it when each user is logged on (which should work) the Registry fix using the variables for "%USERNAME% on %COMPUTERNAME%" if done by an Administrator should work.

I want it for every username on the machine

A star for linney. It never occured to me to use the environmental variables in this way. My own thoughts were much more complicated to solve this little issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back