Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the network login username at reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgstech

Technical User
Dec 16, 2001
GB
i help out in a local school which has a network. The children there are very young and they keep changing the username and password that needs to be used to get onto the network. Is thee anything i can put in the registary to have a defult user name and password every time the nodes are booted up?

lgstech,

Unless you have setup multiple users, this will work":

Try #3 first, it may do the trick alone, if not go through the following steps.

1. Go to Start>Find>Files & Folders... type in *.pwl and delete all .pwl files in c:\windows

2. Go to start>Run, type sysedit. Maximize the system.ini
Delete all lines under
[Password Lists]

3. Go to ControlPanel>Network
Choose Windows Logon as Primary Login

Reboot

You should now get the login box one last time. Type in your name. Just click OK for no password. It will now logon automatically.

reghakr

reghakr,

I have to respectfully disagree about setting Windows Logon as the Primary Login. The computers access a local network and this setting needs to stay as "Client for MS Networks".

lgstech,

By default, win9x will let any users create a new username if "Windows Login" is set. If "Client for MS Nwks" is set, then the username is checked out on the domain server and validated. As long as the user exists on the logon server, then the .pwl file will be created locally under C:\Windows. If you were to follow reghakr's procedure above, it would only resolve your problem temporarily until the next user logs on with a different username. You'd find yourself in the same position.

I am not aware of a tweak in the registry that can prevent this. However, I do believe there is a way to always display the same username at startup, though I can't seem to recall how to do it. I'll do some more research and post back in a bit...

What type of network our you on?
Novell has an easy way to do this in the client properties.

If NT this may work though I have no way to test it.
Note this envolves editing the registry so you'll want to back it up before making any changes.
Run regedit and navigate to the following path [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] under this key add a String Value DefaultUsername and modify the value to the username you want to always come up.

Regards Please provide feedback, good or bad.
And I'm always open to new suggestions or ideas.

Regards

cdogg,

Not neccessarily. I've setup many at work and they login automatically. I'm not removing the Client for Microsoft Networks, just changing the default login.

If they need validated by the Domain, that may be another story and you may be right. Most small networks are not setup that way. We'll need to know how lgstech's network validation is setup.

reghakr

Yes, reghakr, that was my main concern. Most users that are part of a 500+ work force are most likely logging onto a domain and want to leave this setting as "Client for MS Networks". Otherwise as in your case, changing it to "Windows Logon" would work for workgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back