Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the legend in a graph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxodont

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2002
CA
How can I change the text labels in my graph legend to something else? Right now they look like the following:

legend.jpg

How is it possible to change the legend labels from forumla names to custom names? (without changing the forumla names obviously).

Any help is much appreciated.

penpen.gif

Toxodont

You will need to click on each one of the labels in order to change the text. All you need to do is right click on the label and then choose the Edit Axis Label from the shortcut menu. It should bring up a text box and you can name each one of your labels accordingly. Hope this helps.

I don't know about higher versions, but in 8.0 there are a couple of possible solutions. The first is to create a formula to use as the "on change of" field that results in the legend description you want to see. For example:

if year({Order.Date}) = 2001 then "Year of the Rat" else
if year({Order.Date}) = 2002 then "Year of the Monkey" else
"Indescribable Year"

The second is a workaround:
First magnify the report to 200% so you can see what you're doing easily, and then, with the chart not selected, insert a text box over the existing legend (for each instance). Resize it to cover the underlying text, and enter your own text. You now have text over text. Select the text box, right click and go to format text->border->background and change the color to white.

-LB

thank you both for your responses.

@oneilltnc - I actually don't have that option (as far as I can see) to right click and edit the legend as you mentioned. I am using CR 8.5 if that makes a difference.

@lbass - I sorta did something similar to your suggestion. But instead of dropping text over text I just took out the legend and inserted a rasterized legend which in effect does the exact same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back