Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing the alignment of strokes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyell

Technical User
Aug 5, 2007
US
I have a complicated design which I created with the default stroke alignment (which I'm pretty sure is half-inside, half-outside the object). Now I really need to change it so that the strokes are entirely inside the objects, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. When I select an object and look at the stroke panel, I can change the width of the stroke, or the caps, but the alignment options are grayed out. I've also tried selecting all the strokes at one time, but the alignment options are also grayed out. It would be wonderful if I could change them all in one swell foop, but I'll change them one object at a time if that's the only way.

If there is a way -- help!

...when you select a stroke, does the appearance palette indicate a brush name, right hand side of the stroke settings?

...if so, then your stroke actually has a brush applied to it, which does grey out the stroke alignment options...

andrew

============
============

No, it doesn't, Andrew -- all it has to the right is the stroke weight.

Some thoughts:
-- I created the original pattern a long time ago, using CS3, and I'm now on CS4. Could that be a factor?
-- I created the original strokes with the pen tool, and then joined pairs of them to make each object -- any problem there?
-- I'd resized the original design once or twice, but I don't remember whether I rescaled it or just changed the values in the Transform panel.

...you can align art brushes to the inside or outside of a path...

...you can drag an art brush from the brushes palette onto the artboard, choosing "view > outline" will show you an invisible bounding box that holds the brush shape, modifying the position of the brush shape in relation to the invisible bounding box determines how the brush is applied to the path it is used on. This method is useful if you need to have an art brush extend an open path (going beyond the start and end anchor points), or to overlap on a closed path (one corner of a box for example)...

...but as mentioned, that only applies to art brushes...

...if you have a calligraphic brush applied then you can use the "filter > offset path" method on the stroke in the appearance palette, to force the line on the inside (use a negative value e.g. -5pt offset)...

...the same offset method would also work for art brushes to get the brush design where you need it...

andrew

============
============

>>> -- I created the original strokes with the pen tool, and then joined pairs of them to make each object -- any problem there? <<<

...are you absolutely sure the paths are closed paths and not open ones?

>>> -- I created the original pattern a long time ago, using CS3, and I'm now on CS4. Could that be a factor? <<<

...wouldn't like to say really, but highly unlikely...

...more likely a structural problem, like points not actually joined if your certain a brush hasn't been applied...

...in any case, the offset path method should help you out...

andrew

============
============

...correction to the above:

when i say ""filter > offset path", i really mean "effect > path > offset path"...

: )

andrew

============
============

You said: "like points not actually joined" -- that was it! I isolated one object, zoomed down to 6400% magnification and found that two points weren't really joined, but just had overlapping paths. And since my design was created primarily though repeating and rescaling of a couple of objects, the whole design was affected.

Thank you so much -- you've saved my design (but I now have a lot of work ahead of me).

I'm tellin ya, we gotta get a cape for Andrew; AI superhero! (appep)
-E

'There is no LEASH LAW for the IMAGINATION!'
myspace.com/erixworx

I'll vote for that, with a big golden "A" on the back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back