Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing subnet mask on W2K server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2004
US
Hi All,

As the number of users in our network has increased we need to change the subnet mask for our internal network (205.232.212.X). I have inherited this network and don't know why this address was used but I am trying to figure out a temporary solution till we move to a private IP address.

The problem is we would like to change the subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0 for now to accomodate more hosts. I do not want to change the numbering right now as there would be a lot of work involved for a one man IT dept. DHCP server is a Win2K server.

I just wanted to confirm if the steps that I have outlined are correct. It is a one segment network:

1. Deactivate and delete old scope.
2. Create new scope with changed subnet mask
3. Change subnet masks assigned to fixed IP's - servers, printers etc.
4. Reboot the clients (98/NT/2000/XP)

Do I need to delete the leases for the old scope as well before I begin?

All help is appreciated

Your steps are correct, but you really don't even have to worry about rebooting the clients, when their lease expires they'll get a new IP automatically.

Your new subnet will give you a total of 512 nodes.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

doesnt that have to be a superscope? .. maybe a question for the dhcp forum

Doesn't need to be a superscope & all his steps are correct.

Robert Bentley

SynergyworksHosting.co.uk
"reliable services at realistic prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back