Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing some number in a SQL DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garling

Technical User
Feb 26, 2005
I have some phone numbers in a SQL DB that has the incorrect area code, the number format is 3339998888 where '333' is the area code. I need to change the first 3 digits of the number to '228', how can I do this using a SQL query?

Thanks

Code:
UPDATE daTable
   SET phone = '228' + SUBSTRING(phone,4,937)
 WHERE LEFT(phone,3) = '333'
:)

r937.com | rudy.ca

You can do better. Make it sargable.

Code:
UPDATE daTable
   SET phone = '228' + SUBSTRING(phone,4,937)
 WHERE phone [!]Like[/!] '333[!]%[/!]'

If there is an index on this table, the LIKE query will use it. For more info about this.... [google]sql server sargable[/google]

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

sorry

i forgot that sql server cannot figure out the behaviour of LEFT with an indexed character column

;-)

r937.com | rudy.ca

Can someone explain the 937 argument?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

Just FYI... note that the reason the LIKE is sargable is because the engine converts it to a BETWEEN (or >= and <= ranges, with some variation, I've seen the end ranges slightly larger):

Code:
WHERE phone Like '333%'
-->
WHERE
   phone BETWEEN '333' AND '334' -- now can use an index seek
   AND phone Like '333%'
And the 4 in 334 might be the last character of the collation instead. But you get the idea.

937 is part rudy's login name. You just needed a number longer than the length of the string to ensure getting all characters. 2 wouldn't have worked well as you'd have missed some of the phone number. 100 or 500 or 8000 all work fine. More than 8000 is a problem for anything but varchar(max) data type in SQL 2005 and up, but you'd have to test it to be sure because I'm not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back