Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CHANGING RAID -5 TO RAID -10 ON FAStT

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvibm

Vendor
Feb 6, 2003
IN
Hi all,

We have one FAStT 500 with two enclosures with 20 disks.we have created 3 arrays on 2 enclosures and the arrays are configured on RAID-5.Now i have to change the RAID level to RAID -10.
1.)My question is can we change the RAID levels of FAStT on the fly??or i have to break the current RAID level first after taking the whole backup and then re-create it?
2.)Pls let me know if any of u have the document to configure the load balancing of FAStT controllers to handle different disks in array.I know a solution for load balancing that i have to assign different LUN Mappings for each disks.but i don't know how to do it.
3.)Is there any procedure to recover the data from FAStT incase of multiple disk failure on RAID-5.I have the document to recover data from RAID -5 incase of Multiple disk failure but the document is not for FAStT Family.

Thanx in advance to Storage devices Guru's

Regards

Arvind shrivastava

I think it depends on the version of IBM FAST Storage Manager that you are running. v7 didn't allow dynamic reconfig, but v8 does. I think you can download v8.3 at no charge from the ibm website.
Rgds, Jim

Hi s36e175 ,

Thanx for confirming.I have storage manager 8.2 loaded on my machines.Now i can change the raid levels on the fly.
Do u have any idea how we can configure load balancing between two controllers.pls suggest if u have any idea of my question No.2 and 3(in my first post).

Regards

arvind shrivastava

Hi s36e175 ,

Do u have any idea how much time FAStT 500 will take to change the RAID Level -5 to RAID-10 on 20 Disks.Pls let me know if any document or guide available to change the RAID Levels online.

Thanx and Regards

arvind

Sorry, I didn't check back so didn't realise you'd asked more questions. I presume you have it all sorted by now anyway. Rgds, Jim

You can migrate your RAID 5 to RAID 10. If you go to Storage MAnager under storage subsystem, you have that option.

Load balancing can be done by moving Arrays from one controller to the other. There is no as such a perfect load balancing.

As far as you have one hotspare assigned on each LUN yo ucan servive.

Samtaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back