Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Quantity Decimal Places in Item Master 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMW012

Technical User
Aug 20, 2008
US
I've tried to change the quantity decimal place for one item using the Change Decimal Place Utility. I'm receiving a "Item exists on Purchase Order Processing transactions and could not be updated".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to make sure the item is not being used in any work or open transactions.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dave - thanks for the response. I'm a new user to the GP platform. Is there a report I can run to view "open transactions" for the item I'm trying to update. The item was purchase/received and invoiced in June so I'm not sure why I'm getting this message?? There doesn't appear to be any open purchasing transactions..

Thanks in advance...

I've found that (for purchasing documents) there are multiple definitions of OPEN documents.

A purchase order can be completed and closed (purchase order status field), but unless it is posted it is still technically considered open as it is in the open tables versus the historical tables.

yes, needs to have ALL open transactions closed and moved to history.... big pain. You could just update the item master table to the decimals you need.. I found adding more decimals doesn't cause a problem, but losing them does.

of course that's my opinion and does not reflect what the manual says.

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

Adding Decimal places is "safe" as the existing data will have zeros in the additional decimal places.

Removing Decimal places is bad unless you can guarantee no open or work transactions with non zero values in the places being removed.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back