Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing primary smtp email address in A.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

capotec2014

Technical User
Jun 3, 2014
GB
Hi,

Currently we have email adresses like so: user.name@company-limited.com and we have registered a new domain and our management want everything to reflect that -so email should now look like : user.name@company-direct.com.

I have changed the MX records on the new domain but my question is about A.D.

Its been so long since I changed anything like this in AD -and wanted to check that this will or wont work. I was going to use my own email as a test and add in my.name@company-direct.com and set it as a primary smtp address in A.D.

Does A.D. care that the new email address has a different domain suffix and if all external linkages (MX records, Antispam Filter etc) are in place, should it just work? - or is there anything else I need to do in Exchange/A.D.

thanks

It will just work, the internal domain name of the AD forest is more to do with locating machines internally on the LAN. Emails arriving will depend on, as you rightly say:

MX record being correctly targeted at external SMTP server IP address
Domain being accepted as an internal email domain on the server
Email address being configured in AD as one of the users' email addresses.

sircles.net Support - find us at:
Henley-on-Thames Computer Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back