Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2004
US
I need to change passwords on several account that I do not know what they are. I also need to change the admin account. My only concern is there is a process somewhere running under these accounts. Is there a way to scan a domain looking for these accounts being used on machines?

Network Admin
A+, Network+, MCSA 2000, MCSE 2000
MCSA (2003)

that is not feasible across 180 servers, I need some reporting tool or automation

Network Admin
A+, Network+, MCSA 2000, MCSE 2000
MCSA (2003)

We had the same problem at my last job but only had to concern ourselves with 30 servers.

We changed the admin password and ended up finding the 2 services that were using it. We created new accounts for those 2 services and made the appropriate changes within the application the services were associated with. We did this on a weekend and were lucky that the 3 services all ran within 5 hours of the changes (Backup and Spam Software...no AD services).

If you have 180 servers I'm not sure if what we did would work for you.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back