Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing password on separate domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilbonvidia

Technical User
Feb 6, 2007
GB
I am trying to understand how something works.

People in my domain (DC1) access the internet using accounts in another domain(DC2) and when accessing webpages are prompted for their credentials in the other domain. I advise to put in the form of DC2\username. Usually if DC2 passwords require changing a call to dc2 admins is needed as dc1 admins ahve no access. There are no trusts etc and domains are not part of same forest or other wise.

I noticed that I was able to change my DC2 password in the normal fashion by pressing ctrl - alt - del and in the username field entering DC2\username there by greying out the domain box. DC2 domain shows up in windows network. However this does not always work, for example today I get told the username or old password is incorrect even though it definitely is not. Any clue as to why this would be?

Sounds like a typo or caps-lock problem. If it told you that the username or password is incorrect, then more likely than not, it's a typo or caps-lock problem.

You'd have thought but it definitely isn't as it works for internet access.

DC2 is part of a forest, DC1 just sits on its own. I tried changing the pw in dc2 by using the format

username@DC2.abc.efg.net and it worked (same passwords used no typos or caps when trying format uk\username)

I guess you didnt want to setup trusts?

That' what I'd like to do but its not my call unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back