Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing partition size 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmoe

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2004
US
I have Windows Server 2000 on my c: drive.

1. If I have c: partition of 4 gig and an f: partition of 14 gig and I delete the f: partition...can I then increase the size of the c: partition without losing my Windows Server.

2. I have MS-SQL 7 and exchange 2000 on the f: drive. If I move them to another drive, which will be made the new f: drive, should they still run properly?

LMC
IT/MIS
"Never stop learning.

1. Yes. Partition magic works - I've done it.
2. Data -yes. App - no.

<signature for rent>

I know about Partition Magic.
The server software is something like $700.
I meant - without Partition Magic.
Delete the partition F: on drive.
Extend the c: partition into the new space.
=============
Apps no, but I still wonder why.
The registry entries will be intact as I am not changing that.
Are there keys that point to a physical location, rather than a drive letter?

Would it matter if the second drive was mirrored drive (software)?

LMC
IT/MIS
"Never stop learning.

You can't extend the size of a partition without using something like Partition Magic.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

I ran into this very same problem myself. I found the answer in one of the tek-tips posts. I didn't have a copy of the server version of Partition Magic. So I installed a copy of Windows 2000 Pro on one of my bigger partitions, then installed a workstation version of Partition Magic on the Win2k partition. You can increase the size of your C: drive this way. Make sure you backup all relevant information beforehand. I hope this helps.

No you are not changing the registry keys but when you install an application, libraries are stored in the registry in the form of {C0DCFB4A-1232-4DE5-9111-E8420B69381B} and are referenced by the program when it launches or performs a function specific to the app. These keys are created when the program is installed.

Paul

Work on Windows, play on Linux.

If the drive is set up as dynamic and the available space is on the same drive, then yes, you can use Windows 2000 disk management tools to expand the c: partition onto the remaining space.

If the second drive/partition is in the machine, the apps may or may not work, you might have to make some adjustments.

That said, if you need more space for f:\, why not just add a drive to the machine and let f:\ use that space?

I suggest testing this out on another machine if possible, the time spent testing the solution would be worth it considering your talking about SQL and Excahnge.

I need more space for c:\.
F: would be easier.

Thanks for the input.

LMC
IT/MIS
"Never stop learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back