Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Outlook Default File Locations (Tough One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech4U

MIS
Feb 26, 2002
US
Ok...from what I can tell this is going to be a tough one.

It's a simple question, difficult answer.

Can you change the DEFAULT FILE LOCATION of where a Personal Folder is created in Outlook??

The DEFAULT path is C:\Documents and Settings\<profile>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\outlook.

I would like the default to be changed to another place on the c: drive so the .pst can be backed up from ther. I've searched all over the registry for &quot;outlook&quot; &quot;personal folders&quot; and &quot;.pst&quot; and have found nothing that I can change to make the path a different default.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

T

Don't know about changing, but if you install the full mail support, you get the extra &quot;Services&quot; entry in the Tools menu. You can add another Personal Folders and then have mail delivered to that folder and then close the original folder.

TTFN

You did not specify what version, but of course you can change that.
Upon creation of a new PST, you can choose where to put it.
For an existing one, go via control panel - mail in the Options to mofify the location (copy the PST first with Outlook CLOSED).
In outlook 2000 and xp, modify the data file slocation.
If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

I'm talking 95 and/or 2000. I know that you can save the .pst to anywhere you want and I know you can move it anywhere you want. When you go to tools/services/add/personal folders/hit ok it will ask you where it is or to create one. The default location of where it first tries to find it or save it is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<profile>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\outlook.

I want to change this in Outlook to come up as let's say:

C:\Personal Folder

I want it to come up as DEFAULT every time you try to add or create a personal folder. I do NOT want it to come up as C:\Documents and Settings\<profile>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\outlook

I hope this clarified things a little. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!

T

Outlook doesn't allow modification to personal folder attributes, you must remove it then re-add it.

Copy your Personal Folder (.pst), to a folder on your computer or to a folder on a network server.

From Outlook click:
Tools
Services
Highlight the Personal Folder (.pst) you just copied.
Click Remove
Answer are you sure Yes.

Click Add
Choose &quot;Personal Folder&quot;
Click OK
From the DropDownListBox find the folder where you
moved your original file to and highlight the file.

Click Open

Make sure the Name Field is what you want

Click OK
Click OK

You don't seem to understand. I know how to move the personal folders.

Do you know how you can go into word and change the default save location? Well, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

It's ok though. Thank you all for your suggestions :)

I'm sorry I couldn't be clear enough.

Thanks,

T

Yep, I see what you mean, bit there is no such option. I checked the registry, but cannot pinpoint one location just like that.
Maybe some-one does? If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back