Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing nt4 paging file location

Status
Not open for further replies.

xp

Technical User
Jul 19, 2001
Hi,
I had a job interview yesterday where they asked me how would I change which disk the paging file was kept on?
Any answers for future information would be appreciated. Also, why would you want to do this?

The place to change the paging file size can be found in Control Panel, System. Then select Performance, Virtual memory, change. Here you can change the size of the paging file and also its location.

One of the better ways to improve performance is to use a faster drive for the location of the pagefile. If you are using IDE drives, consider either replacing it with a SCSI drive or add a additional SCSI drive.

In addition, and probably, the best option is to use multiple drives for the pagefile. This can be done eother through hardware (preferable) or software.

Chris,
thanks for your help.
Brian

You get better performance if the paging file sits by itself on a seperate disk. Otherwise keep the paging file on a seperate disk away from the system file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back