Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Network Workgropu Name for Intranet Access...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zandor435

Technical User
Jan 23, 2003
US
I am using Windows ME. I am trying to assign this computer to a specific workgroup, so that I might have access to our intranet.

To do this, you would normally just go to properties of My Computer and then click on the Network Identification Tab to change the workgroup name.

My problem is that this tab does not show up on my computer. I believe it is not showing up b/c of a security policy on the computer that I do not know about.

I would like to know if there is any other way to change a workgroup name besides using the tab? Or if anyone knows how to get the tab to be accessable again that would be equally appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Zach

Have you tried right clicking on My network places, and selecting properties, . You should then get the Identification tab.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

yes I have tried that. I have tried all tabs of both My Network Places and My Computer. There is no Network Identification Tab.

I found a fix that is supposed to enable tabs or menues available. I had to change the registry to enable the NoIDSetup tab. That did not work as well. Thanks for suggestions though.

Workgroup name really has no bearing on wether or not you can access network resources. What is not working that you think should be working?

We have a peer to peer network. One computer ("the host pc") is hooked up to a dsl connection. The other computers ("client pcs") on the network are connected to that host PC via a hub. We use the host pc as a server as well. It is simply just a shared drive.

In my experience, each "client" pc has to have the name of the host pc in its work group in order to access any files on the shared drive. The problem PC has internet access, so there is clearly a connection b/t host and client. It does not have intranet access though (meaning access to the shared drive on host pc.)

The reason I think the network ID tab is needed is purely b/c that is what I have done on several other computers in order to get access to the shared drive on the host pc.

In the past, if the workgroup name is not right under the net. ID tab, then the computer only has access to the web, but not the shared drive.

Maybe there is something else I am not considering. I just know that has worked on several other computers. Thanks for the response though.

Zach

In any addrss bar (like windows explorer) just type //servername/sharename (changing the names to whatever is appropriate, of course).

Zach

smah's advice should work, but with backslashes (\\) I think.

On ME, the place where you set the workgroup IS in network properties (its a couple of levels down I think), not system properties (that's for 2k/XP) - and if you do set it, then other machines should appear in my network places.

Wolluf is absolutely correct (as always) about the backslashes - I was in a linux frame of mind when I wrote that [bigglasses]

hi smah - long time no see. We'd best be careful, or could end up with another identity swap!

Yes, it's been a while since we've crossed paths here as ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back